Westmounters honoured for outstanding philanthropy
AFP-Quebec Chapter highlights the commitment and generosity of exceptional individuals and organizations
November 23, 2023
On November 15, the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) – Quebec Chapter highlighted National Philanthropy Day by presenting ten excellence awards to individuals and organizations that have shown outstanding generosity, commitment and leadership in fundraising and who deserve our full appreciation.
These award-winners were selected by a jury co-chaired by Lili-Anna Pereša, President and CEO of the McConnell Foundation, and Andrew Molson, Chairman of Avenir Global. Andrew Molson was the winner of the prestigious Outstanding Philanthropist Award in 2019 with his family.
The Award for Outstanding Major Donor went to Westmounters Marvin and Philippa Carsley. Renowned entrepreneurs and passionate philanthropists, their professional successes span Montreal to Hong Kong but it’s their generosity that shines the brightest. They have supported key institutions, such as the Montreal Heart Institute, contributing close to $15 million to fight cardiovascular diseases. The Carsley Family Foundation, created in 1997, is pursuing their compassionate mission, and a pavilion at the Institute was named in their honour in 2022 as a testament to their indelible impact.
Winners of the 2023 edition of National Philanthropy Day:
- Award for Outstanding Major Donor: Marvin and Philippa Carsley, Carsley Family Foundation
- Award for Outstanding Corporate Major Donor: Sun Life
- Award for Outstanding Volunteer in Philanthropy: Isabelle Marcoux, C.M., Executive Chair of the Board, Transcontinental Inc.
- Award for Outstanding Corporate Citizen (fewer than 500 employees): Pacini restaurants
- Award for Outstanding Corporate Citizen (500 or more employees): Danone
- Award for Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy (ex-aequo): Arianna Silla, student, Université de Montréal and Mateo and Rafael Cardenas, students, Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf
- Award for Rising Star of AFP Quebec: Justine Lacasse, Communications and Philanthropic Development Coordinator, Fondation de l’Hôpital de Memphrémagog
- Award for Outstanding Career in Philanthropy: Martin Munger, Executive Director, Food Banks of Quebec
- Award for Outstanding Non-Profit Organisation: Chez Doris
- Award for Jury’s Special Choice: Les Lucioles du Phare
For more information about the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) – Quebec Chapter visit afpquebec.ca
About National Philanthropy Day
Established in 1986, November 15 is designated across Canada as National Philanthropy Day. This day celebrates the daily commitment of individuals, corporations and organizations. Each year, more than a hundred AFP chapters in North America organize events as part of this day.
About the Association of Fundraising Professionals
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is the largest association of its kind in the world. The AFP has more than 26,000 members internationally, including more than 3,000 in Canada and 371 in the Quebec Chapter. The AFP promotes the importance and value of philanthropy and provides individuals and organizations with a framework for ethical and effective fundraising.